12 February 2011

WARWICK, O WARWICK

Yesterday I went to Warwick Castle in the town of Warwick, Warwickshire. It's about an hour and a half from London, but you can get a direct train there from London Marylebone.


When I arrived there were only a handful of people there, which was nice compared to the time I was there in July 2003. I came during the week because I saw online that if you come to the castle during the week until about the 19th February you get into the dungeon for free. When I was waiting to buy my tickets the two men in front of me were fighting with the man at the till about how today couldn't possibly be sold out. For some reason it wasn't sold out when I bought mine! Since my tour of the dungeon was about to begin, I headed over to the dungeon and was greeted by a man with blood on his face. He was wandering around, checking tickets, sniffing people, and trying to scare them.

The tour of the dungeon was factual, but it was also funny. The guides made sure everyone in the tour participated, whether it be picking someone to make sure the doors were shut behind them to ensure the 'creatures' wouldn't get out, or being demonstrations for how people were tortured back then. My favourite was the guide who made a grandma sit in a cage. The woman was this sweet, innocent looking grandma who was all smiles as she sat in a cage next to instruments of torture and faux body parts drenched in 'blood' hanging on the wall next to her. After the tour of the dungeon I wandered around looking for the Nestle Toll House that was there all those years ago. Well, it was gone. But I did find flowers and peacocks!
I bet Ohio hasn't got flowers right now! And it's probably too cold for peacocks to roam around:
If I ever decide to have a pet, I want a peacock.

As I took a stroll on the castle grounds I had remembered one of the reasons why I came here: to learn how to joust. My dream was short lived when I discovered jousting is in the summer. I kept wandering and admiring the English countryside and thought about how fortunate I am to be in such a beautiful (and warm) place right now whilst friends and family are left in Ohio.
 You just don't get views like this in Ohio. Especially views of castles.
I headed to the castle apartments to see if the wax figure of Princess Diana was still there and it wasn't. She was replaced by William the Conqueror, Henry VIII and his six wives.  Below is the Great Hall followed by the Green Drawing Room where Henry VIII and his six wives are:


I really had a nice afternoon at Warwick Castle. I strongly encourage anyone who has the time to head out to Warwick. It's not like the Royal Historical Palaces where it's more education-based, but rather educational with interaction. There are plenty of things to do for children as well as adults at the castle. 






No comments:

Post a Comment