02 February 2011

Where the Streets Have No Name

Yesterday I visited The British Museum. It was a pain to find, but well worth it. You would think they'd have signs all around Camden pointing you in the right direction: wrong.  I had written down the directions from the tube station, but that was no good as nothing was clearly marked. Nothing matched what I had written down and frankly, the Museum's website was off. Happily, I've got Google Maps on my phone and that helped immensely. Once at the Museum, I stumbled into the 'Life and Death' room. I wondered how didgeridoos could possibly relate to life and death, but then I got a closer look:
Though they may look like didgeridoos, they're actually coffins. Years after an Aborigine has died, their bones are cleaned and painted with red ochre. Once painted, the bones are then broken apart and placed into these coffins. 

The main reason I came to The British Museum was to see the Rosetta Stone. I couldn't get very close to it because a group of schoolchildren were huddle around it. When other visitors asked them to step away, they played the, 'I don't speak English' card. At least I can now say that I have seen the Rosetta Stone!

Below is the Great Court at The British Museum. It's merely a meeting point for groups and a place to buy snacks, gifts, postage stamps, and use the toilets. I was mostly fascinated by the ceiling. 


After my visit to The British Museum it was nearly dinner time and so I decided to find Chipotle. I had heard rumours of London having a Chipotle and I just had to find it. I googled it and found that it wasn't too far from the Museum. I felt farther than it actually was, but it well was worth the walk.
As someone who frequently dines at Chipotle in America, I can say that each Chipotle has a different taste to their burritos and this one has been by far the best. Perhaps it's a regional thing, but this has been the only one I have come across that has a brown rice option. I decided to try it and it was brilliant! Hopefully the Ohio branches (or all American ones, for that matter) catch on. 




1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see how different Chipotle tastes in the U.K.!

    ReplyDelete