01 February 2011

The Land of the Free

Living in an American dorm is just like living in a prison. I thought about it and realised just how similar the two are. You have an RA, which is like a warden. The RA, like a warden, tells you what you can and cannot do and is overall the supervisor of the dorm (or prison). There are visitation hours and unless you're the same gender as your guest, those hours are limited. There are quiet hours when you can't blare your favourite music or even have your TV up too loud. Since I have only attended one American university, I can't really speak for others, though I have heard through friends that they are all similar in that aspect. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy living on campus in the dorms, but having experienced Roehampton's dorms, I'm beginning to feel differently.

Here at Roehampton you have a 'flat rep' which is like an RA, but friendly and willing to get to know you. Some of my best friends back at Otterbein are RAs and I know that they are brilliant with their residents, but for some reason mine haven't. Out of all my RAs, none of them have tried to get to know me; however, my flat rep has. She's a really lovely person and has been very approachable. While Otterbein's dorms are nicer than some hotel rooms, there is a bit more structure. The custodians are always hard at work ensuring that the students have a clean place to live. Here, they're here for an hour or so and leave. One even asked me to take out the trash for her (?).  They do a fine job, don't get me wrong, but Otterbein's are cleaning at least nine hours a day. Perhaps American students are slobs and British ones aren't? Maybe so-I haven't really noticed. Roehampton gives its students far more freedom than Otterbein ever would dare consider. This is good and bad. Otterbein knows that if the students have too much freedom it will be like Woodstock. I remember seeing freshmen during New Student Weekend (NSW) thinking that they were really something special and that now that they weren't at home, they could do whatever they wanted. I live with freshmen at Roehampton and they're really mature (I think) for their age. They know how to cook for themselves and do their own laundry. I'll admit that I am a terrible cook and I try avoiding it at all costs, so I opt for anything that can be microwaved or dine out. I miss Otterbein's meal plan and honestly, the food in the CC isn't bad. When I came to Otterbein I didn't know how to do my own laundry and my dad had to drive down from Cleveland and show me (as well as give me quarters). It was very easy and I actually enjoy doing laundry.

The one thing I really like about Otterbein's dorms are quiet hours. When I came to Roehampton I didn't understand how they could get away with playing their music past 10 PM. When the clock strikes 10 at Otterbein and there is music playing, those RAs are knocking on doors and demanding it be turned down. Once I almost got a 'noise violation' because my roommate and I were laughing too loud at 10:30 at night. My flatmates play music a lot and I don't mind it because most of it is stuff I already have in my iTunes library or it's a genre I like. There is one thing that I abhor about these dorms, however.

Roehampton has a no smoking policy in all of its facilities. Sounds fair, right? I think so, but some students don't fancy it. I won't name the nationality of the students who have issues with this, but they're neither British nor American. I'm next to the kitchen, which seems to be the gathering place for these non-Anglophone students. Walking down the corridor at any hour of the day you'll feel a chill and the faint smell of cigarettes. Open the kitchen door and you'll see girls with their bodies hanging out the window, smoking a cigarette, and acting like it's no big deal. When the fire alarms are set off because of them, it's a bit irritating. One girl in my flat has mentioned to them to stop it, but they don't seem to care. Otterbein's smoke alarms would be going off before they could get their cigarette lit. I won't miss these students, but I will miss the British ones in my flat.

Maybe it is good that Otterbein dorms are a bit like prisons. At least your clothes won't smell like cigarettes, nor will you get a chill walking down the corridor because someone decided to smoke in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment