28 January 2011

The Heart of it All

There have been recently some misconceptions about the geographical location of Ohio and how exactly to pronounce 'Ohio'. Firstly, Ohio is not the same as Idaho nor is it Iowa. Secondly, Ohio is not next Iowa, nor is it near New Jersey. Thirdly, Ohio is sometimes referred to as a Midwestern State as well as part of the East Coast, not the Middle East (Perhaps the eastern bit of the Midwest or the central bit of the East Coast? Take your pick). And finally, Ohio is nowhere near California or Disney World. (Disneyland is in California, by the way, not Disney World). Below is a map of the United States where Ohio is marked in red:


Ohio's major cities include Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus, not Boston and Chicago. When asked from where I was, I was asked 'How far is that from New Jersey?' Great, now Jersey Shore has made it to Europe. One of my favourite questions I have been asked has been how many guns I own. To be honest, I have none and no, I have never witnessed someone being shot nor have I seen someone who has just been shot. If you'd like to see that, I suggest you visit Metro Health's trauma centre in Cleveland. 

When I had mentioned I was from Ohio, one person pointed out that Ohio has lots of cows. I agreed with the statement and asked if they had been to Ohio. They said no and that they were just aware of the stereotypes. I knew that being from Ohio ultimately labelled me as a 'country bumpkin' (I grew up in a Cleveland suburb where we couldn't have chickens, let alone rabbits) but I didn't want myself to carry that label and so I have tried to move myself away from that culture to avoid the stereotypes. And no, I do not own any cows as pets nor do I know anyone who has any cows. 

I know the feeling all too well.


No comments:

Post a Comment