16 January 2011

The Other Boleyn Girl

On Friday I went to the Tower of London where I spent nearly 2-3 hours basking in the history of the Tower. The moment I stepped on the grounds I felt like I was in the Walt Disney World for British historians. I was told that I look like a Boleyn, which I found to be quite interesting (and I guess a compliment?). Wasn't Anne Boleyn known for being ugly? If they mean I look like Natalie Dormer, then fine.  Anyway, I spent much of my time taking photos of cells and where people were executed, except Anne Boleyn. There was a great view of construction where she was executed so I didn't really get to see the spot where she lost her head.  Below is a photo showing only part of what was blocked off. If I could've gone beyond the gates, I could've seen where Anne Boleyn was executed.

On the plus side, I was able to see where Anne Askew spent her last few days!
Below is what her cell looked like. When I walked in it felt like she was in there. Overall, it was just a very depressing place, but still interesting at the same time.



For lunch I ate at one of the cafes at the Tower. They had food where you could 'eat through the ages,' and I opted for beef and ale pie, peas, and apple crumble. All of the Victorian desserts looked amazing, but their prices weren't exactly that great. After lunch I went to the White Tower where I spent a lot of my time learning about the armoury throughout the dynasties. 

The following day I went to Hampton Court Palace. I went alone and I was very pleased with myself for how I managed to navigate my way there. 

I only had 2.5 hours to spend here because of how long it took me to get to Hampton Court Palace and with the time they close. I had my first encounter with a ghost in the Georgian Apartments. I don't know who it was, but it sounded like a little boy whispering something about Mary. Then, in the 'Haunted Gallery' I heard a faint scream. It was probably Catherine Howard, which is a bit erie. Below is a photo of the Haunted Gallery:
After touring the main part of the palace I went outside to the gardens where I stumbled upon the set of 'Sherlock Holmes 2.'

Overall, this was a great weekend. I really enjoy spending my time at historic sites because I personally feel that visiting a site where so much history has happened is worthwhile. In February I will be returning to Hampton Court Palace for a ghost tour that I just booked. I hope it's worth the £25.





No comments:

Post a Comment