12 January 2011

Walmart is taking over the world.

I made my first trip to Asda yesterday with some people who live in my reshall. They're all really quite nice and very helpful. I was mortified when I saw this:
It appears that Walmart is taking over the earth. With a bit of research, I found that there are Walmart stores in Canada and various subsidiaries around the globe, like Asda in the UK and Bompreço in Brazil.  On the plus side, I found this:
I now own a Top Gear lunch bag, which required me to pay for it, obviously. Before I left, my mother gave me a debit card that is issued by AAA. On the card it reads 'TRAVEL CARD,' rather than my name. This was fun explaining to the cashier. She told me the names didn't match and I had to explain to her that's a bit like a gift card. She looked at the signature on the back (I printed my name and asked to request a photo ID), which she didn't seem to understand (She wasn't a native English speaker). I showed her my driving licence, which was another problem: She didn't understand it. She told me my driving licence wasn't signed, which was confusing for her (it is signed right below my photo). I pointed to my name and the name on the back of my debit card. That made some sense to her, and she happily let me use it. 


Here's the best thing I have heard all day: 'I spent £20 on books for my lectures this term!' You poor thing. Spending roughly $30 on books for a semester is very reasonable, especially if you're an American student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment